Compliments and complaints banner

Compliments and Complaints

Below you will find details of how to send a compliment or complaint to Pennine Care as well as other bodies, details about our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) and other useful information.

We have also produced Easy Read versions of these leaflets below. 

Easy Read leaflets

Document File Size
Easy Read - Making a complaint 2.13 MB
Easy Read - How we use your information 1.03 MB
Easy Read - Patient Advice and Liaison Service 849 KB


If you would like to compliment a member of staff, team, department or service, please write to:

Chief Executive
Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust Headquarters
225 Old Street

Once your compliment has been received, the Chief Executive will write to the member of staff, (or the team or department manager) to inform them of your compliment and to show appreciation of their work.  Your compliment will also be (anonymously) reported to the Trust Board.

PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service)

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) acts on behalf of service users, families and carers to negotiate prompt solutions to problems and help bring about changes in the way that services are developed. As well as providing a confidential advice and support service, PALS provides information on:

  • the NHS and health related matters
  • the complaints procedures and how to get in touch with someone who can help
  • how you can get involved in the work of the Trust
  • volunteering opportunities within the Trust

Patient Advice and Liaison Services (PALS)
Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust
Trust Headquarters
225 Old Street

Tel: 0161 716 3178
(24 hour answer phone)
Contact: Patient queries (PALS)


If you have a complaint about the Trust, we are keen to work with you to resolve the concerns that you have. The information provided in this section details who can make a complaint, how it will be handled and what to do if the Trust is unable to resolve it. If you cannot find the information that you are looking for, please contact the Complaints Department:

Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust Headquarters
Complaints Department

225 Old Street

Contact: Complaints and compliments
Tel: 0161 716 3083

Who can make a complaint?

The NHS Complaints Procedure is for service users, carers and relatives to raise concerns about care and treatment provided by Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust.

Carers or relatives may raise complaints about how they have been treated by Trust staff.

Any other person who has been affected by a decision, act or omission of the Trust may also make a complaint.

How do I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint by:

  • Speaking with a member of staff;
  • Contacting Complaints and compliments using the contact form;
  • Telephoning the Complaints Department on 0161 716 3083; or
  • Writing to the Chief Executive or Complaints Department at:

Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust Headquarters
225 Old Street

When can I make a complaint?

You can make a complaint within 12 months of an incident or event (which is the subject of the complaint) occurring, or within 12 months of the time when you became aware you had reason to complain about the incident or event.

It is possible to make a complaint outside the above time limit if the Trust is satisfied that you had good reasons for not making the complaint within that time limit and it is still possible to investigate your complaint effectively and fairly.

You may make a complaint prior to, during or after your treatment with Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust (as long as it is within the above timescale).

A service user's care and treatment will not be adversely affected by access to the NHS Complaints Procedure and all complaints will be treated with sensitivity and confidentiality.

What if I want to make a complaint on behalf of someone else?

If you wish to complain on behalf of someone else, the service user will be informed of your complaint and will be asked to provide their consent for you to access the NHS Complaints Procedure on their behalf and for the Trust to share details of their care and treatment with you in order to respond to your complaint.

If you are making a complaint on behalf of a service user who lacks the capacity to make an informed decision regarding information sharing, the following procedure will take place:

  • The service user's Consultant Psychiatrist will be asked to confirm if the service user has capacity to make decisions regarding information sharing.
  • If the Consultant Psychiatrist is of the opinion that they do not, the Trust's Caldicott Guardian will then make a decision as to whether it is in the service user's best interests for confidential information to be shared with you in order to respond to your complaint.

What if my complaint is about more than one organisation?

If your complaint spans the services of another NHS Trust or Social Services Department, as well as Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust, the Complaints Team will liaise with the other party (or parties) to consider providing a joint response.

This means that it may be possible to provide you with one response letter which addresses your concerns regarding each NHS Trust or Social Services Department. 

What will happen with my complaint?

Once your complaint is received, it will be acknowledged within three working days.

You will be involved in agreeing an action plan to address your complaint; this may involve a telephone call, a meeting, an investigation and written response (or a combination of the above).

A member of staff will review the complexity of your complaint and a reasonable timescale for response will be negotiated.

You will be informed of the Independent Complaints Advocacy Service (ICAS), which you may choose to utilise should you require support during the NHS Complaints Procedure.

What if I am not happy with the response to my complaint?

If you are not satisfied with the response to your complaint, you may contact the Complaints Department to inform them of your outstanding concerns.

The Trust will then consider if there is any further action it can take in order to achieve local resolution for you. This may involve organising a meeting, undertaking a further investigation or providing a further written response to your outstanding points.

What is the next stage of the NHS Complaints Procedure?

If you remain dissatisfied following the Trust's attempts at local resolution, or if you do not wish to engage in further local resolution, you have the option to approach the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman's office to ask them to review the Trust's handling of your complaint.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman's contact details are as follows:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
SW1P 4QP Complaints Helpline Tel: 0345 015 4033

How does the Trust monitor and learn from complaints?

In order to record and monitor complaints activity, the Complaints Department maintains a database of complaints and provides regular reports to the Trust Board and other relevant forums.

Such reports can highlight themes and trends across the Trust.

If a complaint highlights an area which may be improved, the investigating officer may make recommendations for change.

Such recommendations will then be monitored via the Complaints Department.

The Care Quality Commission

The Care Quality Commission is the independent regulator of health and social care in England. They regulate care provided by the NHS, local authorities, private companies and voluntary organisations. Their aim is to make sure better care is provided for everyone - in hospitals, care homes and people's own homes. They also seek to protect the interests of people whose rights are restricted under the Mental Health Act. Should you have a concern on the carrying on of a regulated activity you can inform the Care Quality Commission. Further information about the Care Quality Commission is available on their website

Our Latest News and Events Head over to our News & Events Page »