Family ambassadors are here to support parents or carers of young people on our inpatient CAMHS units.
We are non-clinical professionals with lived experience of inpatient services, who can work with you and the clinical teams and help you navigate the inpatient journey.
We will support you from the point of admission until shortly after discharge, in a way which is flexible and suits your needs.
As a parent or carer, you have a unique perspective on the care needs of your child or young person. We will ensure your voice is heard and that you feel empowered to become an equal partner in your child or young person’s care.
- Emotional and practical support
- Accommodation and travel within the area
- Ensure you are fully involved in the production of a care plan
- Explaining the purpose of different meetings and preparing for them
- Support and information after meetings
- Explaining any legal processes that you may encounter, e.g. The Mental Health Act
- Understanding the roles of the multidisciplinary team
- Understanding any ‘jargon’ or unfamiliar clinical terms used
- Guidance on eligibility for benefits
- Support during transition to other services
- Resolving any issues within the unit, through consistent communication with unit staff
- Written information about a variety of topics
- Communication with NHS, social care, local authority, education or onward providers
- Directing you to parent/carer forums and relevant support groups
For more information, contact:
Regional family ambassador northwest region:
- Kate Gilbert - email@example.com 07702 432550
Local family ambassadors for Hope and Horizon:
- Becky Greenwood - firstname.lastname@example.org 07935700877
- Panita Chouhan - email@example.com 07912454692
Read more about the family ambassador programme on the elearning for healthcare website.