Military Veterans Service
Welcome to the Military Veterans' Service for Greater Manchester and Lancashire.
This page has information about:
- What we do
- How to get help
- Community reporters website
- How to give your views on mental health services for veterans
We provide mental health support to ex-service personnel for conditions including depression, alcohol and substance misuse, anger problems and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Some people who have served in the armed forces say that they can experience emotional difficulties and find it hard to ask for help. This may be because of difficult experiences or simply adjusting to civilian life.
Pennine Care previously delivered the service across the North West as part of a pilot and has so far helped over 1,000 veterans with a range of mental health problems.
Our expert team is overseen by a Consultant Clinical Psychologist and includes clinical psychologists, specialist psychological wellbeing practitioners and case managers who all understand armed forces culture.
Some of our staff are veterans themselves and others have family members in the forces. Veterans have told us this makes a big difference in giving them confidence that the service can help them.
- Pennine Care is working in partnership with Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust to provide the service to veterans living in Lancashire
- Pennine Care also delivers the transition, intervention and liaison (TIL) veterans’ mental health service in the North West, providing support for armed forces personnel approaching discharge and thereafter into their civilian life, whether this is months or years later.
- Greater Manchester West Mental Health NHS Foundation Trust delivers the service across Cheshire and Merseyside.
- Military Veterans in Liverpool should access the Talk Liverpool service, provided by Mersey Care NHS Trust
- You can call us directly on 0300 323 0707 to discuss your needs (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm).
- You can refer yourself online via our simple online referral form
- GPs and health and social care professionals should download and fax our referral form
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, follow us on Twitter at @MVS_GM or @MVS_Lancs
Find out more about the service, what we offer and how we can help by viewing our video below.
The Military Veterans’ Service worked in partnership with Walking With the Wounded, Veterans In Communities and Inspiration NW, to deliver ‘Overcoming Barriers’
Overcoming Barriers was a pilot scheme, commissioned by NHS England, to develop various projects with the aim of helping veterans overcome barriers to accessing mental health services. The projects were tested in Greater Manchester with a view to them being rolled out across England.
You can read more about the pilot by clicking here