Beating bowel cancer across Manchester – join us for free screenings in July
Manchester residents are being encouraged to beat bowel cancer and attend free local screening information sessions throughout July.
Bowel cancer is one of the most common types of cancer diagnosed in the UK, with 1 in 20 people developing it during their lifetime. Yet in some parts of Manchester, the uptake can be really low, and taking part in the free NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme, could help detect the disease and increase chances of survival.
People aged 60 and above are 80% more at risk from developing the disease but bowel cancer in younger people is also on the increase. The free NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme which is for people aged 60 – 74 years of age provides an opportunity for bowel cancer to be detected early which increases the chances of successful treatment with more than 9 in 10 people surviving the disease.
Awareness of the disease and the Bowel Cancer Screening Programme can help everyone spot the early signs and symptoms.
Lisa Jowitt, Bowel Screening Programme Manager for Greater Manchester said:
“It is really important we increase awareness around Bowel Cancer and encourage people to understand that it can affect people of all ages. The NHS Bowel Cancer Screening plays a huge part of detecting bowel cancer early which means a greater chance of successful treatment. Knowing even one fact about bowel cancer, including the signs and symptoms and understanding how people could reduce their risk of developing is really important.”
The 10 sessions to be held throughout Manchester include:
- Wednesday 12 July 2017 – 11am to 4pm - Morrisons, Openshaw, M11 1DA
- Thursday 13 July 2017 – 10am to 3pm - Wythenshawe Forum, Simonsway, M22 5RX
- Saturday 15 July 2017 – 11am to 4pm – Tesco, Cheetham Hill, M8 5DP
- Monday 17 July 2017 – 10am to 2pm – Asda, Eastlands, Ashton New Road, M11 4DB
- Tuesday 18 July 2017 – 10am to 3pm – Tesco, Baguley, Altrincham Road, M23 9TJ
- Wednesday 19 July 2017 – 10am to 2pm - Asda, Eastlands, Ashton New Road, M11 4DB
- Thursday 20 July 2017 – 10am to 3pm – Asda, Longsight, Stanley Grove, M12 4NH
- Saturday 22 July 2017 – 11am to 4pm – Mecca Bingo, Gorton, M12 5FL
- Monday 24 July 2017 – 10am to 3pm – North City Shopping Centre, Burgess House, Church Lane, M9 5UQ
- Saturday 29 July – 11am to 4pm – Harpurhey Market, Harpurhey Shopping Centre, Church Lane, Harpurhey, M9 4DH
The Bowel Cancer Screening Programme is funded by Public Health England and provided in Greater Manchester by Pennine Care NHS Foundation Trust.
For more information please visit http://www.gmmovement.co.uk/